Thursday, November 3, 2011

What on earth have I been up to?

I've been oddly quiet for far too long, I know.  It's been a strange year that way.  Lots of covert operations going on over here, but I'm here to share some of it with you.

First off, there's a really nifty facebook app I'd like you to check out.  I can't take credit for any of the handmade plush featured in it, but let's just say I have extremely intimate knowledge of every piece in there.  One of them was replicated 100 times for promotional  purposes.  I imagine that whoever had that project must have been very busy indeed!  But, as I said, legally the artist responsible for this work cannot publicly take credit for it.  Whoever she may be.

Feel Better Friend!  An app full of handmade plush.  By someone really awesome.
What I'm pretty sure I CAN take credit for is that adorable baby girl in that photo.  I totally made her.  Isn't she gorgeous?  Okay, quit staring and go play with the app.

Next up, there's a very special date approaching.  11|11|11 is NEXT WEEK, and I've been making preparations for a few months to celebrate this grandest of dates in high style with the Corduroy Appreciation Club, a social club based in New York City that celebrates this every-man's fabric and its related items.  They hold spectacular meetings on dates that resemble corduroy, and this upcoming date of 11|11|11 is the date that most closely resembles corduroy of ALL TIME!

Not one to miss out on grand events, I will be packing the family into the minivan and trekking out to New York to attend this meeting, which is reported to be the last of its kind.  I have this on authority, as my brother and his betrothed help run the organization.  A multitude of wondrous events are planned, some of which are still being kept under wraps, but suffice it to say we have a very personal reason to attend this meeting that celebrates all things corduroy.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  Once it's over I will regale you, not to worry!  Many, many pictures with hilarious descriptions will rain down upon you, dear reader.
The whale is the mascot of the CAC, and should always be facing left.  
 But I've had another role to play as well, that of Plush CORDinator (get it?  get it?).  I'm cultivating a small exhibit of 11 plush pieces by 11 plush artists from my beloved Plush Team.  These soft sculptures are incredible to behold, and will be displayed one night only at the CAC meeting held at the Desmond Tutu Center on 11|11|11.  Alas, the event is sold out, so if you don't have your ticket you're out of luck to see the exhibit in person.  Not to worry!  These pieces will be available for purchase on Saturday, November 12th beginning at noon at the Plush Team's etsy shop, so that you may add one of these amazing creations to your private corduroy collection.

Look at my fancy membership card!  Backed in CORDUROY!!!  Jealous?

To attend a CAC meeting you must be wearing a minimum of two items of corduroy, which for this most auspicious date has been raised to THREE items.  I've been making dresses, ties, helping with spats, scouring vintage shops, and I think we're good to go.  Jason even has a pair of cordarounds, whose horizontal wale greatly diminishes crotch friction.  Fancy!

So, while I put all the final details on our preparations, check out Plush Team's blog, where I've been celebrating 11 days of corduroy, revealing a different plush piece from the show each day.  Also peruse the CAC's blog, as they have their own 11 days of corduroy to help you get into the spirit.

A sneak peek at a special project I made for the CAC.

ALL HAIL THE WALE!!!

No comments: