Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chasing the whale...

Well, took me a little longer than I thought to get back to this. And so it goes.

There's an exhibit opening this friday: "Chasing the Whale in Northern Kentucky: Local Artists Respond to Moby-Dick." The show runs August 14 through October 9, 2009 at Gallerie Zaum in Newport, Kentucky. I have three pieces on display, and I am awfully proud of them all. If you feel like swinging by the opening is from 6pm til 9pm and my old professor Dr. Wallace, the curator of this fine exhibit, will be giving a lecture.


Meet Yojo, he'll be one of the pieces on display. An excerpt from my artist's statement:

My final piece in this exhibit is Yojo. When I am not driving my son to soccer practice or assisting my daughter with a potty emergency, I am working as a plush artist. I always wanted to be a mother, but after a few years of being a full time parent I realized my creative juices had all but dried up. I was losing focus of who I was as an individual amidst the all-consuming responsibilities of rearing these two small individuals. But then I taught myself to sew. I have never felt so happy or at home in an art medium as I do with fabric, its fluidity has such sculptural qualities. This little talisman, in his way, represents this art that I worship and sacrifice towards, all in order to bring my ideas into this physical world.

I feel a little brain dead this morning, and I think after more coffee and a quick labotomy I'll be right as rain. I'll post pics of the other two pieces sometime this week. Now for that coffee...

No comments: